Census director denies boycott on right

By Hope Yen ASSOCIATED PRESS

Census Bureau Director Robert Groves said Monday he is heartened by the high level of participation so far in the 2010 census, with no indications that large numbers of conservatives were only partially filling out the form or boycotting the government count.

“We can’t find empirical support for that,” Mr. Groves said, addressing fears of lower participation among conservatives. He noted that perhaps 1 percent or 2 percent of the 10-question forms returned so far have been incomplete, which is what officials anticipated.

Mr. Groves’ comments, which he made at a news conference to urge Americans to mail back their census forms by Friday, ran counter to anecdotal reports in recent weeks that anti-government sentiment might spur a mass boycott among conservatives who consider the census form to be overreaching.

Republican Reps. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and Ron Paul of Texas are among those who have been vocal in expressing their intent to refuse to provide information about anything except the number of people in their household, saying that providing anything more would be an invasion of privacy.

“Things are going quite well,” Mr. Groves said Monday.

With five days left for people to mail back census forms, about 65 percent, or more than 77 million households, have completed and mailed back their census forms.

That number puts the U.S. on track to match or surpass the 2000 mail-return rate of 72 percent. The Midwest leads, while the Southern and Western U.S. and big cities such as New York, Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia are lagging.

To read more, visit: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/13/census-director-denies-boycott-on-right/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_politics-government

No comments yet - you can be the first!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.